- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
To the Editor: Governor’s budget cuts will hurt Lifescape
Governor’s budget cuts will hurt Lifescape
It is deep within each human soul to help one another. When one falls, with no help to rise, the community falls as well.
This is essentially what the State of Illinois is forcing human service agencies throughout to do; fail to help their community. By not paying these agencies the money that is owed them, like Lifescape Community Services, important services are denied, people are forced to seek help elsewhere, and ultimately, agencies close and the unemployment in our state rises even higher.
And now Governor Quinn is proposing a $13 million cut in the budget that helps fund Lifescape’s Bright Side Adult Day Service. Bright Side provides a place where caregivers know their loved ones are properly supervised and cared for. There is peace of mind in that knowledge. But with this cut, where will our clients go?
In most cases, they will be forced into nursing homes, where the state will spend millions more to provide needed services, money that would be better spent keeping our clients in their own homes and community. To cut essential services, like adult day services, as proposed by the governor, is inexcusable. Our elected officials need to stop these cuts.
Lifescape Community Services, Inc.
From the April 28-May 4, 2010 issue