- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Community news and notes: Week of May 5-11, 2010
Phil Elsbree, Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau (RACVB) director of sports sales, earned the Certified Sports Events Executive (CSEE) designation conferred by the National Association of Sports Commissioners (NASC). The CSEE recognizes NASC members who have achieved five years of experience in the sports events industry and have earned eight continuing education credits. Elsbree is one of only 85 graduates of the program nationwide. Elsbree began working at the RACVB in 2005 as a customer focus coordinator. He was promoted to director of sports sales in 2006 and director of sales and service in 2009. … The American Horticultural Society (AHS) recently awarded brothers William, Daniel and Albert Nicholas with the Society’s 2010 Catherine H. Sweeney Award. In 2006, the Nicholas brothers donated a gift of $2,150,000 to the Rockford Park District for a centerpiece project to celebrate the district’s 100th anniversary in 2009. The gift is being used to create the Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens in Sinnissippi Park. The Catherine H. Sweeney Award is one of 12 Great American Gardeners Awards that the society presents annually to individuals, organizations and business that represent the best in American gardening. … Nextage Professional Realty recently announced Paula Fulton, of Stockton, was appointed to director of Professional Development. Fulton’s real estate career began in 1974 in Ottawa. Paula opened, managed and eventually sold three successful real estate offices throughout the state. Her involvement in the Illinois Association of Realtors (IAR) for the past 20 years has built a large network of friends and associates in the industry. Fulton has served the IAR as district vice president, leadership liaison public and legislative policy and currently sits on the IAR Professional Standards Committee and the Realtor Political Action Committee.
From the May 5-11, 2010 issue