- Meet John Doe: Businesses, politicians and gov’t should follow junk email laws
- Entertainment abound for this week’s First Friday
- State Roundup: Special election dates set
- Test drive: the 2015 Ford F-150
- Fracking never on a path to sustainability
- Indiana boxes itself into legal corner
- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
Drivers display need for speed at Blackhawk Farms Raceway
By Doug Halberstadt
The need for speed was prevalent at Blackhawk Farms Raceway this past weekend (May 1-2). Close to 200 drivers from throughout the United States and parts of Canada gathered at the 1.95-mile, seven-turn private-circuit racetrack for a nearly perfect weekend of racing.
The track, in South Beloit, played host to the Blackhawk Valley and Milwaukee Regions Joint Double National Races for the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA).
The cars were divided into seven different groups based on SCCA classifications. Following some practice laps, the cars then took to the track again within their groups for a 25-minute qualifying session.
Based on those qualifying times, the cars were then lined up in their groups for a 25-lap race on Saturday and then a second 25-lapper on Sunday.
Every type of sports car imaginable took a turn on the track. There were guys driving Alfa Romeos, Audis, BMWs, Corvettes, Porsches, Miatas, Mustangs, VWs, and I even saw a lone Mini Cooper being put through the paces.
According to their Web site, the SCCA is an organization devoted to bringing motorsports to the masses of American men and women who are passionate about speed, automobiles and competition. They exist to organize, support and develop auto racing at every level, and provide an outlet and opportunities for individuals to become involved with the sport of auto racing.
To learn about how to become a member of the SCCA, you can visit their Web site at www.SCCA.com.
From the May 5-11, 2010 issue