- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
Guest Column: Help the kids–participate in poker run
By Pat James
My name is Pat James. I own a small barber shop in South Beloit, Ill. For the past 34 years, I have, with the help of the community, put on raffles, concerts and poker runs to raise money for the needy children. We get the names from the school district. We raise the money, buy the gifts, wrap the gifts and deliver the presents.
Last year, we had 150 children. When my wife and I started this, we were lucky to do two families 34 years ago. But people have become aware of our events and show up so we can raise funds. It takes me all year to raise $10,000 or so to be able to do this. I don’t have money to spend on a lot of advertising, as this is the kids’ money, and I can’t afford to lose it. So I am tight, but that’s the only way I can be sure we don’t lose the kids’ money.
We want to put on a poker run May 8. Registration will be between 9 and 11 a.m. at Dad’s Lads Barber Shop, 609 Blackhawk Blvd., South Beloit. This will be about a 70-mile run. Cost is $15 for the run and food. There will be prizes, a 50/50 raffle, and a lot of fun. Prizes will be items donated by various businesses, including a one-day stay at Ramada Inn, food certificates, gift certificates from bars, car washes, etc. The ride will end at 4:30 p.m. at Barr’s 5 Star Tavern, 128 S. Bluff, South Beloit. Food available will be hot dogs, beans and chips; people can order drinks from the bar. Please come out and ride for the needy children. If you need a contact number, call Dad’s Lads Barber Shop at (815) 389-1224 (closed Mondays).
From the May 5-11, 2010 issue