- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Guest Column: Help the kids–participate in poker run
By Pat James
My name is Pat James. I own a small barber shop in South Beloit, Ill. For the past 34 years, I have, with the help of the community, put on raffles, concerts and poker runs to raise money for the needy children. We get the names from the school district. We raise the money, buy the gifts, wrap the gifts and deliver the presents.
Last year, we had 150 children. When my wife and I started this, we were lucky to do two families 34 years ago. But people have become aware of our events and show up so we can raise funds. It takes me all year to raise $10,000 or so to be able to do this. I don’t have money to spend on a lot of advertising, as this is the kids’ money, and I can’t afford to lose it. So I am tight, but that’s the only way I can be sure we don’t lose the kids’ money.
We want to put on a poker run May 8. Registration will be between 9 and 11 a.m. at Dad’s Lads Barber Shop, 609 Blackhawk Blvd., South Beloit. This will be about a 70-mile run. Cost is $15 for the run and food. There will be prizes, a 50/50 raffle, and a lot of fun. Prizes will be items donated by various businesses, including a one-day stay at Ramada Inn, food certificates, gift certificates from bars, car washes, etc. The ride will end at 4:30 p.m. at Barr’s 5 Star Tavern, 128 S. Bluff, South Beloit. Food available will be hot dogs, beans and chips; people can order drinks from the bar. Please come out and ride for the needy children. If you need a contact number, call Dad’s Lads Barber Shop at (815) 389-1224 (closed Mondays).
From the May 5-11, 2010 issue