- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simons as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Keep Northern Illinois Beatiful’s Spring Clothing Drive May 8
From press release
LOVES PARK, Ill.—Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful’s (KNIB) Spring Clothing Drive will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, May 8, at Forest Hills Lodge (near Rockford Speedway; enter off Highway 173) and at all seven area Hilander Food Stores.
“Last year, our three clothing drives combined collected nearly 273,000 pounds of clothing and soft goods from over 5,800 area households,” said Lori Gummow, executive director of KNIB. “We were very pleased with that amount. In spite of the current economic conditions, we have found people in this community are very willing to help someone in need.”
Area residents are asked to place their clean, usable clothing for men, women and children in plastic bags; no boxes or hangers are accepted.
“Items need to be in plastic bags so that everything stays clean and dry until arriving at its final destination for redistribution, either here in the United States or in a Third World country,” Gummow stated. “Also, we would greatly appreciate if the bags of clothing being dropped off weigh no more than 5 to 10 pounds for the safety of our volunteers.”
Accessories, such as purses, linens, stuffed toys and soft-sided luggage are also accepted. Any shoes dropped off need to be tied together.
For more information or to volunteer, visit www.knib.org or contact Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful at (815) 637-1343.
From the May 5-11, 2010 issue