- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Keep Northern Illinois Beatiful’s Spring Clothing Drive May 8
From press release
LOVES PARK, Ill.—Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful’s (KNIB) Spring Clothing Drive will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, May 8, at Forest Hills Lodge (near Rockford Speedway; enter off Highway 173) and at all seven area Hilander Food Stores.
“Last year, our three clothing drives combined collected nearly 273,000 pounds of clothing and soft goods from over 5,800 area households,” said Lori Gummow, executive director of KNIB. “We were very pleased with that amount. In spite of the current economic conditions, we have found people in this community are very willing to help someone in need.”
Area residents are asked to place their clean, usable clothing for men, women and children in plastic bags; no boxes or hangers are accepted.
“Items need to be in plastic bags so that everything stays clean and dry until arriving at its final destination for redistribution, either here in the United States or in a Third World country,” Gummow stated. “Also, we would greatly appreciate if the bags of clothing being dropped off weigh no more than 5 to 10 pounds for the safety of our volunteers.”
Accessories, such as purses, linens, stuffed toys and soft-sided luggage are also accepted. Any shoes dropped off need to be tied together.
For more information or to volunteer, visit www.knib.org or contact Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful at (815) 637-1343.
From the May 5-11, 2010 issue