- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Tanzanite Cheer Team wins Champion Cup Award
From press release
The Tanzanite Cheer Team, from the Roscoe-based Kids SPOT Cheer program, has been named winner of the Champion Cup Award, a national award for excellence in skill and performance. The Tanzanite Team earned their trophy and championship seal, and will serve as a promotional team for the Champion Spirit Group, sponsor of this nationwide competition.
To qualify for this award, all teams must compete in a minimum of three days of competition during the cheer season. Scores are tabulated by averaging the top three scores in each of the five levels of the Champion Spirit Group program. Tanzanites earned the top score in the country for the Junior Level 2 division. The Kids SPOT team was also one of only two teams in the nation whose average scores were 9.0 or higher; typical scores for this competition are in the 8 range on a scale of 0-10.
In addition to the team award, the Kids SPOT coaches earned a coaching award for excellence.
“Amazingly, this is the first year of competition for this team,” said Head Coach Katie Dohm. The team consists of 20 athletes, ages 8-15.
Dohm added, “It has been quite a challenge, getting this diverse group working together at a championship level in such a short time.”
The Kids SPOT Cheer program has had a high-scoring year—for Kids SPOT teams competing in at least three competitions, each scored in the top 10 nationally in their level.
This competitive cheer team holds many titles: national, division and grand championships, to name a few. Kids SPOT Cheer was formed in 2005 and has grown into a first-rate program, serving nearly 100 athletes in all age and skill levels.
Kids SPOT in Roscoe offers both recreational cheer classes and competitive cheer teams for athletes ages 4-18. Tryouts for Kids SPOT Cheer Team will be Saturday, May 8. Contact (815) 623-5437 for more information.
From the May 5-11, 2010 issue