- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Tanzanite Cheer Team wins Champion Cup Award
From press release
The Tanzanite Cheer Team, from the Roscoe-based Kids SPOT Cheer program, has been named winner of the Champion Cup Award, a national award for excellence in skill and performance. The Tanzanite Team earned their trophy and championship seal, and will serve as a promotional team for the Champion Spirit Group, sponsor of this nationwide competition.
To qualify for this award, all teams must compete in a minimum of three days of competition during the cheer season. Scores are tabulated by averaging the top three scores in each of the five levels of the Champion Spirit Group program. Tanzanites earned the top score in the country for the Junior Level 2 division. The Kids SPOT team was also one of only two teams in the nation whose average scores were 9.0 or higher; typical scores for this competition are in the 8 range on a scale of 0-10.
In addition to the team award, the Kids SPOT coaches earned a coaching award for excellence.
“Amazingly, this is the first year of competition for this team,” said Head Coach Katie Dohm. The team consists of 20 athletes, ages 8-15.
Dohm added, “It has been quite a challenge, getting this diverse group working together at a championship level in such a short time.”
The Kids SPOT Cheer program has had a high-scoring year—for Kids SPOT teams competing in at least three competitions, each scored in the top 10 nationally in their level.
This competitive cheer team holds many titles: national, division and grand championships, to name a few. Kids SPOT Cheer was formed in 2005 and has grown into a first-rate program, serving nearly 100 athletes in all age and skill levels.
Kids SPOT in Roscoe offers both recreational cheer classes and competitive cheer teams for athletes ages 4-18. Tryouts for Kids SPOT Cheer Team will be Saturday, May 8. Contact (815) 623-5437 for more information.
From the May 5-11, 2010 issue