- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Area team hosts–and wins–basketball tournament
By Matt Nestor
The weather is warming up, as is the basketball offseason for local players.
Teams from all over the stateline area and beyond gathered at Jefferson High School this past weekend to play basketball in the Pryme Tyme Round Robin Tournament hosted locally by Pryme Tyme Youth Organization.
The Jefferson gym was packed as 30 teams traveled from as far as Iowa to take place in the tournament that hosted boys’ and girls’ teams from ages 9-17.
Some of the top area players, including Fred Van Vleet and Marcus Posley, competed for titles in the round-robin-style tournament.
The host organization, Pryme Tyme, won three of the titles, with their 16-and-under team winning the top boys’ tournament. The 14-and-under team won and the 12-and-under team won competing in the 13-and-under division.
The Racine Warriors dominated the field in the 16-and-under girls’ tournament, topping the Stateline team 38-17 to win the title.
Along with Pryme Tyme, Stateline sent five teams, who also took second in the 12-and-under girls, and Iowa Showtime sent seven teams, including the second-place finisher in the 17-and-under boys’ division, losing to Pryme Tyme 65-43.
From the May 12-18, 2010 issue