- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: Catching up with John ‘Brizz’ Brizzolara of 96.7 The Eagle
Harlem wins girls’ track title
By Matt Nestor
The Harlem Huskies have performed well throughout the track season this year. They have topped that off with a championship, winning the team title at the NIC-10 championships.
Senior Jenna Combs continued her dominance this season, winning three different events as well as taking a second-place finish.
Combs won the long jump, the 100-meter high hurdles and the 300 hurdles, while taking second in the high jump.
Sophomore Leah Rafferty continued her great season from the fall cross country season, winning the distance events, the 1,600 and 3,200.
Harlem’s Autumn Miller won the shot put, and the 3,200 relay team took first to help the Huskies reach 142 total team points for their first-place finish.
Belvidere North took second place with 117 points. Cetrena Simmons scored victories in the high jump and the triple jump for Belvidere North, while Baily Murphy also won the pole vault for the host school.
Hononegah finished only 3 points behind Belvidere North for third with 114 points. They were led by Courtney Clayton, who won the 400, and Kelsey Laska, who won the 800. They also received victories in the 800 and 1,600 relays.
Rachel Evett won the discus for fourth-place Boylan. Sierra Woods of Auburn won the 100 and also ran on the Knights’ 400 relay winning team. Woods also took second to Logan Tillmon of East in the 200 final.
From the May 12-18, 2010 issue