Tour area farms during May 16 OPENFIELDS event
From press release
Experience the tapestry of rural life and meet your local farmers at University of Illinois Extension’s OPENFIELDS Farm Tour from noon to 5 p.m., Sunday, May 16.
Visit www.extension.illinois.edu/winnebago for more information and a Google map of the event.
The following farms will be open for tours during the OPENFIELDS Farm Tour:
• Wind Ridge Herb Farm, 466 Quail Trap Road, Caledonia, IL 61011—More than 400 varieties of culinary and medicinal herbs available for purchase, along with honey/maple syrup, herbs, plants and flowers. Visit www.windridgeherbfarm.com.
• Cedar Creek Organics, 2744 E. Factory Road, Dakota, IL 61018—80 acres of One Cert Certified Organic farm ground with 3 acres dedicated to organic vegetables and fruits. More than 60 different varieties of heirloom and organic vegetables and fruits including sweet corn, peppers, beets, beans, strawberries, raspberries, melons, lettuce, peas, tomatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, squash, broccoli and spinach.
• Famous Fossil Vineyard & Winery, 395 W. Cedarville Road, Freeport, IL 61032—A Certified Biodynamic vineyard producing red, white and fruit wines. Tasting room features local cheese, meats, eggs and more. Visit www.famousfossilwinery.com.
Garden Prairie, Ill.
• Susie’s Garden Patch, 10258 U.S. Hwy. 20, Garden Prairie, IL 61038—Celebrate Susie’s 25 years! U-Pick vegetable farm with no membership fees. Featuring: asparagus, strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, spinach and so much more. Visit www.susiesgardenpatch.com.
• Hazzard Free Farm, 5111 Ahrens Road, Pecatonica, IL 61063—Certified Naturally Grown CSA and U-Pick CSA. Fruits, vegetables, herbs and flowers. Display gardens, chickens and guineas. Visit www.firsthandharvest.com.
• Irish Grove Farms, 9027 Best Road, Pecatonica, IL 61063—A fourth-generation family farm that raises Murray Grey beef cattle, chickens and eggs on 255 acres of organic and transitional pastures and fields. Chickens, goats, cattle, horses, alfalfa and corn. Direct market meat, poultry and eggs. Visit www.irishgrove.blogspot.com.
• Open Range Products, 14081 Berglund Road, Pecatonica, IL 61063—A small niche farm established in 1977. All critters are pasture-raised, naturally and humanely. Eggs, meat and poultry sold by direct market to customers, who can also place orders at the Edgebrook Farmers’ Market throughout the summer. State licensed and inspected. Also raise chickens, cattle, goats, pigs and sheep.
Poplar Grove, Ill.
• R Family Farm, 6501 N. Boone School Road, Poplar Grove, IL 61065—R Family Farm pasture raises cattle, Berkshire pigs, goats, chickens and turkeys. Eggs and honey for sale at farm store. Visit www.r-family-farm.com.
• Sugar Prairie Wildlife Corridor, 16360 Cannell Road, Rockton, IL 61072—Prairie, savanna, and farmstead restoration, offering fresh eggs from truly free-range chickens. Lots of birds and wildlife. Nature and walking trails. Visit email@example.com.
• Margie’s Grass Kickin’ Chicken, 8709 Elevator Road, Roscoe, IL 61073—CSA, pasture-raised chicken and pork sausage. Vegetables, chickens and pigs. Visit www.margieschickens.com.
• Pine Row Farm, 11449 Havenswood, Roscoe, IL 61073—Certified Naturally Grown produce that is marketed through First Hand Harvest CSA. Chickens, goats, vegetables, farm fresh eggs and goat’s milk soap products in season. Visit www.pinerowfarm.net and www.firsthandharvest.com.
• Harrison Market Gardens, 9024 Harrison Road, Winnebago, IL 61088—U-Pick CSA featuring fruit, vegetables and herbs. Find them at www.localharvest.org.
Community Supported Agriculture
CSA equals Community Supported Agriculture equals farms that offer a certain number of “shares” to the public. Typically, the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (also known as a “membership” or a “subscription”) and in return receive a box (bag or basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season.
University of Illinois Extension offices
• University of Illinois Extension-Winnebago County—1925 S. Meridian Road, Rockford, IL 61102, phone (815) 986-4357 or visit www.extension.illinois.edu/winnebago.
• University of Illinois Extension-Stephenson County—2998 W. Pearl City Road, Freeport, IL 61032, phone (815) 235-4125 or visit www.extension.illinois.edu/stephenson.
Print This Article