- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
Build a playground at 10th Avenue Park May 22
MetLife Foundation, Patriots’ Gateway Center, KaBoom! and Rockford Park District invite you to join them as they team up Saturday, May 22, to build a playground for the children at 10th Avenue Park, 825 10th Ave., Rockford. Volunteers do not have to be skilled, trained or have any special tools; they just have to be enthusiastic, energetic, a team player, willing to work, have fun and be at least 18 years of age, although youth ages 5-17 are welcome.
Come as an individual or come with a team. About 100 volunteers are needed for this project, and pre-registration is required. Arrive at 8 a.m. for breakfast and stay until project completion time. Music, prizes, lunch and beverages will be provided along with an opening and special closing ceremony. The build will happen rain or shine. Because this is a sponsored event, please do not wear clothing with large logos of any company or product. Please bring a refillable/reusable water bottle with your name on it; water will be available for refills.
Build Captains and site preparers are also needed. Skilled builders are invited to become Build Captains to take on a leadership role May 22. Captains are required to attend a 45-minute orientation/lunch at 11:30 a.m. on Prep Day, May 20. All are welcome to help prepare the playground site May 20—there’s lots to do to be ready for the Build!
Contact Kelly Adami, volunteer director, at (815) 987-1608 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a registration form.
From the May 19-25, 2010 issue