- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
To the Editor: Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness thanks our community
The Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness enjoyed its seventh year under sunny skies on a beautiful Saturday morning. More than 640 people came to NIU Rockford to run, walk, share stories, celebrate the successes of donation, and honor the donors of organ, tissue, cornea, blood and marrow, who selflessly give of themselves to help others. More than $36,000 was raised to help pay for people to join the Rock River Valley Blood Center’s Be The Match Marrow Registry. Donations can be made year round at www.redshoerun.org.
The event drew participants from all over Illinois and Wisconsin. The top female runner of the 5-K run was Suzanne Ryan of West Chicago at 18:35.5; the top male runner was Sean O’Connor of Rockford at 15:39.1. The top individual fund-raiser was Diane DeMers of Dekalb, and the top team fund-raiser was the Blood Drops, a staff team from the Rock River Valley Blood Center. Congratulations and thank you!
Thanks also to our major sponsors: Anderson Packaging, Inc., Rockford Health System, OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center, SwedishAmerican Health System, Alpine Bank, Rockford United Labor AFL-CIO, Electrical Union IBEW-LMCC and Midwest Eye Banks, as well as all of the teams and individuals who participated and raised money. Finally, a big thank-you to all of the volunteers who spent the last months and weeks helping us prepare and those who came to help April10. Together, you have made the Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness a competitive, inspiring day.
April 9, 2011, is the date for next year’s Red Shoe Run for Donor Awareness.
The Red Shoe Run for Donor
From the May 19-25, 2010 issue