- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
To the Editor: School board members should be ashamed
Shame on our school board members for giving jobs to unqualified teachers! According to Dr. Sheffield at the Signal Hill neighborhood meeting May 13, she had to release over 500 teachers to rid the district of illegally-placed teachers and get the district on the right track. So how many unqualified teachers were working in non-certified areas throughout the Rockford schools?
Dr. Sheffield said it was a wonderful experience for teachers to have to gather a portfolio and spend all day Saturday, April 24, at Guilford High School vying for jobs. How wonderful is it to stress over whether you will get a job or not, do all this preparation, and spend whole days interviewing when you are busy at the end of a hectic school year, trying to maintain effective teaching?
Dr. Sheffield acknowledged that the school board was her boss. Too bad the bosses didn’t care more about their employees to hire correctly and help Dr. Sheffield use her time more wisely by supporting staff and their good work.
From the May 19-25, 2010 issue