- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
To the Editor: School board members should be ashamed
Shame on our school board members for giving jobs to unqualified teachers! According to Dr. Sheffield at the Signal Hill neighborhood meeting May 13, she had to release over 500 teachers to rid the district of illegally-placed teachers and get the district on the right track. So how many unqualified teachers were working in non-certified areas throughout the Rockford schools?
Dr. Sheffield said it was a wonderful experience for teachers to have to gather a portfolio and spend all day Saturday, April 24, at Guilford High School vying for jobs. How wonderful is it to stress over whether you will get a job or not, do all this preparation, and spend whole days interviewing when you are busy at the end of a hectic school year, trying to maintain effective teaching?
Dr. Sheffield acknowledged that the school board was her boss. Too bad the bosses didn’t care more about their employees to hire correctly and help Dr. Sheffield use her time more wisely by supporting staff and their good work.
From the May 19-25, 2010 issue