- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
To the Editor: School board members should be ashamed
Shame on our school board members for giving jobs to unqualified teachers! According to Dr. Sheffield at the Signal Hill neighborhood meeting May 13, she had to release over 500 teachers to rid the district of illegally-placed teachers and get the district on the right track. So how many unqualified teachers were working in non-certified areas throughout the Rockford schools?
Dr. Sheffield said it was a wonderful experience for teachers to have to gather a portfolio and spend all day Saturday, April 24, at Guilford High School vying for jobs. How wonderful is it to stress over whether you will get a job or not, do all this preparation, and spend whole days interviewing when you are busy at the end of a hectic school year, trying to maintain effective teaching?
Dr. Sheffield acknowledged that the school board was her boss. Too bad the bosses didn’t care more about their employees to hire correctly and help Dr. Sheffield use her time more wisely by supporting staff and their good work.
From the May 19-25, 2010 issue