- Phishing scam targets I-PASS users
- 3rd Street bridge structurally deficient, to be closed March 19
- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
To the Editor: School board members should be ashamed
Shame on our school board members for giving jobs to unqualified teachers! According to Dr. Sheffield at the Signal Hill neighborhood meeting May 13, she had to release over 500 teachers to rid the district of illegally-placed teachers and get the district on the right track. So how many unqualified teachers were working in non-certified areas throughout the Rockford schools?
Dr. Sheffield said it was a wonderful experience for teachers to have to gather a portfolio and spend all day Saturday, April 24, at Guilford High School vying for jobs. How wonderful is it to stress over whether you will get a job or not, do all this preparation, and spend whole days interviewing when you are busy at the end of a hectic school year, trying to maintain effective teaching?
Dr. Sheffield acknowledged that the school board was her boss. Too bad the bosses didn’t care more about their employees to hire correctly and help Dr. Sheffield use her time more wisely by supporting staff and their good work.
From the May 19-25, 2010 issue