- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
39th Annual Young at Heart Festival kicks off summer, May 28-30
From press release
LOVES PARK–The Young at Heart Festival, presented by Trickie Enterprises and held each Memorial Day weekend, will kick off the summer festival season in the Rockford region for the 39th year Friday, May 28, through Monday, May 31, with family fun, great music, carnival rides by Skinners’ Amusements, fireworks, beer garden, great food, a kids’ fishing derby and the Young at Heart pageant and parade.
This year, headlining bands include the Blooze Brothers, Josh Gracin, Mike & Joe, and RAMI Award-winning Clutch Cargo. This family-friendly weekend welcomes attendees of all ages, with kids 8 and younger admitted free, and a special Kids’ Day on Sunday, May 30, featuring popular children’s entertainer Jim Gill as well as a special Kids’ Day ride wristband for only $15 at the gate or $10 in advance (available only at the Parks Chamber office from noon to 6 p.m., May 24-26).
Those who purchase buttons in advance save $2 off gate prices, and buttons are now available at outlets all over the region (visit www.youngatheartfestival.com for locations). Buttons are good for all four days of the festival and cost $6 in advance or $8 at the gate. Children 8 and younger get in FREE. Family Fun Packs—4 buttons and 4 coupons good for $2 off ride wristbands—also are available for $24 (a $32 value).
Schedule of Activities/Performers
The YAH Kids’ Fishing Derby is Saturday, May 22, from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Martin Park. For more info and signing up, contact Jim McEachran at (815) 633-8765. The Young at Heart Pageant will be held Saturday, May 22, at 4 p.m. at Loves Park City Hall. For more info, contact Bev Toedt at (815) 399-5810.
Friday, May 28 (Gates open at 6 p.m.)
Opening ceremony 5 p.m.; Music—Men of our Times, 7-8:30 p.m.; Blooze Brothers, 9-11:30 p.m.
Saturday, May 29
(Gates open at noon)
Young at Heart Parade, 9 a.m., starts at Woodward; Young at Heart Idol Contest, 3 p.m.; Fireworks Spectacular, 9:30 p.m. Music—Country Music Day—Tin Horse, 5-7:30 p.m.; Josh Gracin, 8-9:30 p.m.; Southern Heritage, 10-11:30 p.m.
Sunday, May 30
(Gates open at noon)
Kids Day. Music Schedule: Billy the Balloon Guy, noon to 5 p.m.; Jim Gill, 1:30-2:15 p.m.; Mr. Steve, 2:30-3:30 p.m.; Redline 7000, 4-5:30 p.m.; The Sensations, 6-8:30 p.m.; Mike & Joe, 9-11:30 p.m.
Monday, May 31 (Gates open at noon)
Forest Hills Dance Academy Variety Show, noon to 2 p.m.; Clutch Cargo, 3-5:30 p.m.
Visit Young At Heart Festival on Facebook and follow it on Twitter to share your experiences and to get updates, event information and more fun stuff. For more information, visit www.youngatheartfestival.com or call the Parks Chamber at (815) 633-3999.
From the May 26-June 1, 2010 issue