- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Young Vikings prepare for tennis finals
By Matt Nestor
Outside of senior Danny Park, the Guilford Vikings’ boys’ tennis team didn’t have a lot of experience coming in to the season.
That lack of experience hurt them in the conference, where they finished a close second. But the young Vikings grew up over the next week, where they were able to edge out Freeport to win the sectional title 22-20.
The NIC-10 conference champions, the Boylan Titans, finished third with 17 points.
The senior, Park, did lead the way for the Vikings. He cruised to the state finals with an easy two-set victory over Rockford Christian freshman Justin Ancona 6-0, 6-1.
Sophomore Matt Papke will join his teammate Park downstate in the singles event. He finished fourth after losing to Boylan senior Craig Cahillane 6-4, 6-0.
Freeport dominated the doubles side. The Pretzels had both teams in the sectional finals, where both senior teams will compete downstate.
Seniors Ben Main and Raghav Saini defeated fellow seniors Rustam Saini and Scott Kesler 6-2, 6-2 to win the sectional title.
Auburn’s young team of sophomore Winston Du and freshman Branden Metzler defeated Boylan sophomore Joe Rose and junior Adam Dahlberg 6-4, 6-4. Both teams will also compete in the state finals.
From the May 26-June 1, 2010 issue