- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Young Vikings prepare for tennis finals
By Matt Nestor
Outside of senior Danny Park, the Guilford Vikings’ boys’ tennis team didn’t have a lot of experience coming in to the season.
That lack of experience hurt them in the conference, where they finished a close second. But the young Vikings grew up over the next week, where they were able to edge out Freeport to win the sectional title 22-20.
The NIC-10 conference champions, the Boylan Titans, finished third with 17 points.
The senior, Park, did lead the way for the Vikings. He cruised to the state finals with an easy two-set victory over Rockford Christian freshman Justin Ancona 6-0, 6-1.
Sophomore Matt Papke will join his teammate Park downstate in the singles event. He finished fourth after losing to Boylan senior Craig Cahillane 6-4, 6-0.
Freeport dominated the doubles side. The Pretzels had both teams in the sectional finals, where both senior teams will compete downstate.
Seniors Ben Main and Raghav Saini defeated fellow seniors Rustam Saini and Scott Kesler 6-2, 6-2 to win the sectional title.
Auburn’s young team of sophomore Winston Du and freshman Branden Metzler defeated Boylan sophomore Joe Rose and junior Adam Dahlberg 6-4, 6-4. Both teams will also compete in the state finals.
From the May 26-June 1, 2010 issue