- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Young Vikings prepare for tennis finals
By Matt Nestor
Outside of senior Danny Park, the Guilford Vikings’ boys’ tennis team didn’t have a lot of experience coming in to the season.
That lack of experience hurt them in the conference, where they finished a close second. But the young Vikings grew up over the next week, where they were able to edge out Freeport to win the sectional title 22-20.
The NIC-10 conference champions, the Boylan Titans, finished third with 17 points.
The senior, Park, did lead the way for the Vikings. He cruised to the state finals with an easy two-set victory over Rockford Christian freshman Justin Ancona 6-0, 6-1.
Sophomore Matt Papke will join his teammate Park downstate in the singles event. He finished fourth after losing to Boylan senior Craig Cahillane 6-4, 6-0.
Freeport dominated the doubles side. The Pretzels had both teams in the sectional finals, where both senior teams will compete downstate.
Seniors Ben Main and Raghav Saini defeated fellow seniors Rustam Saini and Scott Kesler 6-2, 6-2 to win the sectional title.
Auburn’s young team of sophomore Winston Du and freshman Branden Metzler defeated Boylan sophomore Joe Rose and junior Adam Dahlberg 6-4, 6-4. Both teams will also compete in the state finals.
From the May 26-June 1, 2010 issue