- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
Young Vikings prepare for tennis finals
By Matt Nestor
Outside of senior Danny Park, the Guilford Vikings’ boys’ tennis team didn’t have a lot of experience coming in to the season.
That lack of experience hurt them in the conference, where they finished a close second. But the young Vikings grew up over the next week, where they were able to edge out Freeport to win the sectional title 22-20.
The NIC-10 conference champions, the Boylan Titans, finished third with 17 points.
The senior, Park, did lead the way for the Vikings. He cruised to the state finals with an easy two-set victory over Rockford Christian freshman Justin Ancona 6-0, 6-1.
Sophomore Matt Papke will join his teammate Park downstate in the singles event. He finished fourth after losing to Boylan senior Craig Cahillane 6-4, 6-0.
Freeport dominated the doubles side. The Pretzels had both teams in the sectional finals, where both senior teams will compete downstate.
Seniors Ben Main and Raghav Saini defeated fellow seniors Rustam Saini and Scott Kesler 6-2, 6-2 to win the sectional title.
Auburn’s young team of sophomore Winston Du and freshman Branden Metzler defeated Boylan sophomore Joe Rose and junior Adam Dahlberg 6-4, 6-4. Both teams will also compete in the state finals.
From the May 26-June 1, 2010 issue