- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
IceHogs auction off game-worn jerseys
By Doug Halberstadt
With the Chicago Blackhawks leading their best-of-seven Stanley Cup Finals Series 1-0 (at press time) and the temperatures soaring into the 90s, there’s a natural conflict between wanting to support your team and comfort. Wearing a thick, heavy hockey jersey when the mercury nears the century mark requires a certain level of dedication to the team and a certain coolness not everyone has.
As a result of the renewed, recent high level of interest in the Blackhawks, according to reports, fans are gobbling up anything with the team’s logo on it. Those items are selling at a premium—that is, if you can find them. Many stores are already sold out of anything and everything with the Blackhawks’ logo on it.
There may be an interesting option available to local hockey fans. The Rockford IceHogs are auctioning off a total of 38 game-worn road jerseys. Now, keep in mind, they are not exactly cheap; however, they do have the Blackhawks’ logo on them (on the sleeve) and the coveted IceHogs logo as well.
All jerseys will be auctioned through eBay with a starting bid at $350. Pictures and descriptions will be posted on the IceHogs’ eBay store. The jerseys will be posted at 8 p.m., Tuesday, of each week. All auctions will last a week.
The first four jerseys were sold last week. Here is the schedule for the 34 remaining. This week, fans can bid on jerseys worn by Shawn Lalonde, David Phillips, Adam Hobson and J.C. Sawyer.
June 8—Akim Aliu, Dan Cloutier, Bryan Ewing, Nathan Davis
June 15—Special Customizable Drum & Bugle Hammy (benefitting the IceHogs Charitable Foundation), Alec Richards, Brandon Bollig, Richard Petiot
June 22—Kyle Greentree, Pete MacArthur, Corey Crawford, Danny Richmond
June 29—Bryan Bickell, Matt Keith, Jassen Cullimore, Joe Charlebois
July 6—Kyle Beach, Maxime Tanguay, Joe Palmer, Derek Nesbitt
July 13—Hannu Toivonen, Bracken Kearns, Jonathan Carlsson, Evan Brophey
July 20—David Gilbert, Rob Klinkhammer, Joe Fallon, Ryan Flinn
July 27—Jack Skille, Brian Connelly, Mark Cullen
Anyone interested in bidding on any of the above jerseys can get more information by contacting Chris Etheridge in the IceHogs Front Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 986-6465.
Good luck bidding, and if you do win, I’d suggest maybe waiting for the temperatures to dip into the 50s again before wearing your new item. Unless, of course, you’re a real, true hockey fan and you want to be “cool.”
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the June 2-8, 2010 issue