- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Starlight debuts Chicago June 2-5
From press release
For years, it has been the most requested musical by fans of Rock Valley College’s (RVC) Bengt Sjostrom Starlight Theatre. Now in its 44th season, RVC Starlight Theatre is debuting Chicago.
Based on a 1926 play by Chicago Tribune reporter Maurine Dallas Watkins, Chicago tells the story of Roxie Hart, a chorus girl who murders her unfaithful husband, then manages not only to avoid prison with the help of razzle-dazzle lawyer Billy Flynn, but uses the trial to propel herself to showbiz stardom along with another murderous chorus girl, Velma Kelly.
A dark parable of American justice, Chicago is a sexy musical extravaganza that includes several show-stopping numbers such as “All That Jazz,” “Razzle Dazzle” and “Class.”
Chicago will open the Starlight season with performances at 8 p.m., June 2-5. A 2 p.m. matinee will be staged Saturday, June 5. The show will return for a second run later this summer, July 7-11.
For more information or for tickets, call (815) 921-2160 or visit rvcstarlight.com.
From the June 2-8, 2010 issue