- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Bears’ kicker Robbie Gould in Rockford June 18
By Doug Halberstadt
Chicago Bears’ place-kicker Robbie Gould is coming to Rockford later this month. He’ll be in town to help the Rockford Park District with their Youth Sports Fun Day.
The event will be at Guilford High School Stadium from 6 to 8 p.m., Friday, June 18. Gould will be joined by Chicago mascot Staley Da Bear. The two will be on hand to sign autographs for those who purchase VIP tickets to the event.
The VIP tickets are $75 each. A limited supply of VIP tickets is available; tickets can be purchased in advance from either Rockford Park District Customer Service location—Webbs Norman Center in downtown Rockford at 401 S. Main St., or at Carlson Ice Arena, Riverside and Perryville, Loves Park. The VIP ticket also includes admission to a special hospitality tent where food and beverages will be available.
The event is free for all Rockford Park District Youth Sports participants. The only request is to wear their program shirt or jersey. The event will include a Birds of Prey presentation, mascots, giveaways, face painting, helicopter landing, ambulance, police, and fire department demonstrations, and more.
As of the end of the 2009 season, Gould is the fourth-most accurate kicker in NFL history. He is clearly one of the fans’ favorites in Soldier Field, and in 2008, he signed an extension with the Bears that would keep him on the team through the 2013 season. The contract, reportedly worth $15.5 million, which includes a $4.25 million signing bonus, makes Gould the NFL’s highest-paid kicker.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the June 9-15, 2010 issue