- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
Bears’ kicker Robbie Gould in Rockford June 18
By Doug Halberstadt
Chicago Bears’ place-kicker Robbie Gould is coming to Rockford later this month. He’ll be in town to help the Rockford Park District with their Youth Sports Fun Day.
The event will be at Guilford High School Stadium from 6 to 8 p.m., Friday, June 18. Gould will be joined by Chicago mascot Staley Da Bear. The two will be on hand to sign autographs for those who purchase VIP tickets to the event.
The VIP tickets are $75 each. A limited supply of VIP tickets is available; tickets can be purchased in advance from either Rockford Park District Customer Service location—Webbs Norman Center in downtown Rockford at 401 S. Main St., or at Carlson Ice Arena, Riverside and Perryville, Loves Park. The VIP ticket also includes admission to a special hospitality tent where food and beverages will be available.
The event is free for all Rockford Park District Youth Sports participants. The only request is to wear their program shirt or jersey. The event will include a Birds of Prey presentation, mascots, giveaways, face painting, helicopter landing, ambulance, police, and fire department demonstrations, and more.
As of the end of the 2009 season, Gould is the fourth-most accurate kicker in NFL history. He is clearly one of the fans’ favorites in Soldier Field, and in 2008, he signed an extension with the Bears that would keep him on the team through the 2013 season. The contract, reportedly worth $15.5 million, which includes a $4.25 million signing bonus, makes Gould the NFL’s highest-paid kicker.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the June 9-15, 2010 issue