- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Deadline fast approaching for youth golf tournaments
By Doug Halberstadt
The deadline is fast approaching for northern Illinois area youth golfers to register for the Rockford Park District- and Winnebago County Forest Preserve-sponsored summer tournaments.
June 14 at 5 p.m. is the deadline to enter the first in a series of seven youth golf tournaments held throughout the area. The Rockford Area Youth Golf Tournament Series is open to boys and girls ages 8-18 who are residents of Winnebago or Boone counties, or who hold golf permits from the Rockford Park District or Winnebago County Forest Preserve District. Tournament locations and dates this year are: Elliot, June 21; Macktown, June 25; Ingersoll, June 28; Sandy Hollow, July 9; Ledges, July 15; Atwood, July 22; and Aldeen, Aug. 9.
Registration deadlines and fees vary; anyone interested may register online at www.rockfordparkdistrict.org, by mail or fax (with credit card) or at the Park District Customer Service locations in downtown Rockford or at Carlson Ice Arena, Riverside and Perryville, in Loves Park. Tournament series details and registration forms are listed online in the Rockford Park District’s Summer 2010 Golf Tournaments brochure, which is also available at Park District Customer Service, facilities and golf courses, or by calling (815) 987-8800.
For those teens looking to get a little extra practice in before the tournaments begin, they should grab a friend and take advantage of the Two “Fore” One Fridays at Ingersoll Golf Course. All golfers (not just the teen-agers) get two-for-one greens fees at Ingersoll Golf Course every Friday through Aug. 27. (Not valid after 3 p.m.)
From the June 9-15, 2010 issue