- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
This week in the Times: George Scaduto
George Scaduto, 70, was born and raised in Chicago, but has spent nearly the past 40 years as a resident of Rockford. Scaduto is employed at Parthenios Luncheonette in downtown Rockford. On the occasion of his 70th birthday, The Rock River Times asked Scaduto to reflect on his more than 50 years in the restaurant service industry.
1. At age 70, what keeps you coming back to work every day? First, I’d have to say the money keeps me coming back every day. We all need money, and I’m glad I still have a job that provides me with an income. Plus, retirement would bore me to tears. I’m still too active to retire just now.
2. What advice would you give a young person just joining the work force? I’d tell young people to find something you’re good at and stick with it. Even at my age, I’m still good help because I work hard. So, if you find something you can do well, and have a good work ethic, you’ll probably always have a job if you want one.
3. Over your 40 years in Rockford, what changes have you noticed in the downtown area? The changes I’ve seen have been for the better, when it comes to downtown Rockford. There seems to be more businesses open and more foot traffic down here than there was at one point. Downtown Rockford, especially the area I work in, is one of my favorite places in the entire city.
4. What is your favorite activity when you are not working? Bingo, without a doubt, is my favorite hobby. I play a lot of bingo when I’m not here working.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant, Eric Bohrman: What is your favorite professional sports team? The St. Louis Cardinals. They are normally always good, and they’ve made a living beating the Cubs in my lifetime. They are a well-run, professional franchise with a track record of success.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the June 9-15, 2010 issue