- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
This week in the Times: George Scaduto
George Scaduto, 70, was born and raised in Chicago, but has spent nearly the past 40 years as a resident of Rockford. Scaduto is employed at Parthenios Luncheonette in downtown Rockford. On the occasion of his 70th birthday, The Rock River Times asked Scaduto to reflect on his more than 50 years in the restaurant service industry.
1. At age 70, what keeps you coming back to work every day? First, I’d have to say the money keeps me coming back every day. We all need money, and I’m glad I still have a job that provides me with an income. Plus, retirement would bore me to tears. I’m still too active to retire just now.
2. What advice would you give a young person just joining the work force? I’d tell young people to find something you’re good at and stick with it. Even at my age, I’m still good help because I work hard. So, if you find something you can do well, and have a good work ethic, you’ll probably always have a job if you want one.
3. Over your 40 years in Rockford, what changes have you noticed in the downtown area? The changes I’ve seen have been for the better, when it comes to downtown Rockford. There seems to be more businesses open and more foot traffic down here than there was at one point. Downtown Rockford, especially the area I work in, is one of my favorite places in the entire city.
4. What is your favorite activity when you are not working? Bingo, without a doubt, is my favorite hobby. I play a lot of bingo when I’m not here working.
5. Question from last week’s “This week in The Times” participant, Eric Bohrman: What is your favorite professional sports team? The St. Louis Cardinals. They are normally always good, and they’ve made a living beating the Cubs in my lifetime. They are a well-run, professional franchise with a track record of success.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the June 9-15, 2010 issue