- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Sara Evans headlines June 19 Rock’n for the RED
From press release
For the past two years, the Rock River Chapter of the American Red Cross has hosted Rock’n for the RED, an outdoor festival at Davis Park featuring food and live music, as a benefit for the local Disaster Relief Fund. Local musicians have generously donated their time and talent to help the Red Cross ensure people left baseless will have the necessities to rebuild their lives after a disaster. This year, the event will be headlined by award-winning country music star Sara Evans, presented by Rockford’s Country Q98.5.
Located on the Great Lawn of Davis Park, Rock’n for the RED is scheduled for Saturday, June 19. General admission tickets are $20, and $25 the day of the concert. Opening bands will be local favorite Southern Heritage and country-rock band Smokin’ Gunz.
“Locally, we were able to raise a significant amount of money committed to relief efforts in Haiti,” says Dr. Robert Willis, executive director of the Rock River Chapter. “This speaks volumes about our community, and the way humans will transcend their own problems to help whenever and wherever it is needed. That is the true essence of the American Red Cross.”
Willis goes on to state that the general admission ticket cost was kept nominal “in an effort to show our appreciation to a community that stands beside us as we rebuild lives down the street, across the country, and around the world.”
A member of the American Red Cross Celebrity Cabinet, Evans is sensitive to the organization’s mission to help people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies.
Evans shares: “The Red Cross is an amazing organization. I don’t think that the public—nor I, until recently—realized the extent to which the Red Cross responds to disasters throughout the world. In light of current crises, now, more than ever, their works should be applauded.”
In the wake of international disasters like the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile, the tornadoes that ripped through the American South and current flooding, the American Red Cross is again at the forefront of disaster relief operations. To mobilize volunteers and provide support, the Red Cross relies on a healthy Disaster Relief Fund. Rock’n for the RED is the Rock River Chapter’s signature fund-raiser to this end.
For more about the event, call (815) 963-8471 or visit www.rockriver.redcross.org.
From the June 16-22, 2010 issue