- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
IceHogs to launch Summer Street Hockey Initiative
By Doug Halberstadt
It’s been a couple of weeks now since the Chicago Blackhawks secured their first NHL championship in 49 years. The team celebrations have quieted. The Stanley Cup is making the customary rounds of talk show appearances. The ice hockey season is over for this year. That may break the hearts of hardcore hockey fans.
They can actually take some solace. All is not lost, even though the ice has been put away. The good news is the street hockey season is just beginning. This summer, the Rockford IceHogs will launch their first-ever Summer Street Hockey Initiative, thanks in part to an equipment donation by the Chicago Blackhawks, Rockford’s NHL affiliate.
Each session will last one to two hours and feature a brief hockey tutorial by a member of the IceHogs staff, an appearance by either Hammy or Hammer and a game of floor hockey.
Several opportunities exist for anyone interested in participating in the IceHogs’ inaugural street hockey season. The next session starts at 10 a.m., Thursday, July 1, at Train Up A Child Preschool in Loves Park. The following week, Thursday, July 8, the Carlson Boys and Girls Club in Machesney Park will host a session starting at 3 p.m.
The following week, the sessions move into Rockford. Monday, July 12, the Boys and Girls Club Blackhawk Unit will have a 3 p.m. session. Also in Rockford that same week, at 3 p.m., Thursday, July 15, the street skaters will be at the Boys and Girls Club at Second Congregational Church.
At 3 p.m., Monday, July 19, Our Savior’s Lutheran Church Boys and Girls Club will host a session. At 9 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 3, the skaters will be back in Loves Park at the Northeast YMCA.
The final session of the summer will be back in Rockford at 1 p.m., Friday, Aug. 6, at the YMCA of Rock River Valley. To schedule a visit from the IceHogs’ Summer Street Hockey Initiative, contact the IceHogs at (815) 986-6465. For more information about where the IceHogs are in the community this summer, visit www.icehogs.com/schedule/community.
From the June 23-29, 2010 issue