- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
Stopping ‘Karate Kid’ from becoming ‘Bully’ Kid
From press release
The first round of Karate Kid movies, which became hits in the 1980s, showed both the positive and negative sides of martial arts training. Furthermore, the movie motivated kids to start using the moves they saw on the big screen out on the playground. Many times, this resulted in the “misuse” of martial arts moves, and gave many bullies more tools to help do their dirty work.
As the new and updated version of the movie is released this month (June 11), a child may see a rise in playground or school bullying. This is why it is so important to make sure children realize not just how to use martial arts correctly in life, but when. Equipping children with anti “Bully Kid” tools may be the best thing parents can do for their child this summer.
Elite Defense Systems Martial Arts Center (EDS) has been teaching self-defense for more than 15 years. They are only one of 12 fully-certified organizations in the whole Midwest that teach Bruce Lee’s art of Jeet Kune Do (JKD). This art is rooted in the main style while the Karate Kid used.
EDS will be offering a free “Anti-Bullying” class for children 4-12 years of age throughout this summer, where they will be focusing on discipline, focus and dealing with bullies correctly. There are a variety of days and times to choose from. For more information, please call the EDS “Anti-Bullying” hotline at toll free 1-877-337-1877 for dates, times and locations in your area.
From the June 23-29, 2010 issue