- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
City of Rockford Human Services Department announces cooling sites for 2010
From press release
The City of Rockford Human Services Department announces the availability of cooling sites throughout the city and surrounding area this summer. Cooling sites offer air-conditioned relief during periods of excessive heat or when an Excessive Heat Advisory or Warning is issued by the National Weather Service.
For more information about how to stay cool, healthy and safe this summer, go to www.keepcool.illinois.gov. The purpose of Keep Cool Illinois is to offer residents—especially the elderly, families with small children and people with disabilities—a way to prevent heat-related health problems, reduce their utility bills and safely participate in summer activities.
The list of participating cooling sites follows:
→ Carpenter’s Place, 1149 Railroad Ave., Rockford, (815) 964-4105—Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
→ Jubilee Center, Park Avenue and North Court Street, Rockford, (815) 964-5520—Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-3 p.m.
→ Keen Age Center, 2141 Henry Luckow Lane, Belvidere, Ill., (815) 544-9893—Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
→ Public Safety Building, 420 W. State St., Rockford—Lobby open 7 a.m.-4 p.m.
→ Rockford Rescue Mission, Rockford, (815) 965-5332:
→Men’s Shelter, 715 W. State St., Rockton Avenue entrance, (815) 316-4148—24 hours a day, seven days a week; and
→Women’s Shelter, 809 Cedar St., (815) 986-0393—8 a.m.-5 p.m., seven days a week
→ Salvation Army, 1706 18th Ave., Rockford, (815) 397-0440—Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
→ Salvation Army, 422 S. Main St., Belvidere, Ill., (815) 544-3892—Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
→ THAT Station (Total Health Awareness Team), 218 Seventh St., Rockford, (815) 961-1269—Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
→ Winnebago County Justice Center, 650 W. State St., Rockford—Lobby open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Most local State of Illinois facilities are available as cooling centers. Call the Illinois Department of Human Services hotline at (800) 843-6154 for more information.
From the June 30-July 6, 2010 issue