- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
- Tube Talk: A bite out of the competition
- Rockford Rocked: A chat with local musician Tony Walker
Clock Tower to host ‘Blues Around the Clock’ Aug. 7
By Jim Hagerty
The vibrant Rockford-area festival season will be even more exciting for more music fans this year. The Blues Around the Clock festival is scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 7, on the grounds of the Clock Tower Resort.
Seven bands, including headliner W.C. Clark, mentor to the late Stevie Ray Vaughan, are slated to play the 12-hour event. The festival will run 11 a.m. to 11. p.m. In the event of severe weather, the show will be brought inside the 10,000-square-foot banquet facility.
Clock Tower officials hope Blues Around the Clock will attract fans from throughout the region and bring business to area establishments, including the resort’s lounges, restaurants and indoor water park.
“This will be full of a lot of stars and full of a lot of fun,” Clock Tower Executive Chef and Food and Beverage Director Randall Smith said. “In picking the date, we tried to spread it out between the other things going on in Rockford that are exciting, so the entire summer is filled with events (that) continue to create energy in Rockford.”
Special room rates and packages will be available during the event.
Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the gate. Children younger than 10 are admitted free. Advanced tickets can be purchased by calling the Clock Tower at (815) 229-4572 or at the Tilted Kilt Pub & Eatery. Room reservations can be made at clocktowerresort.com.
Blues Around the Clock lineup
Alex Wilson Band; Perry Weber and the Devilles; Sequoia and the Virgins; Purgatory Hill, featuring Pat MacDonald and Melanie Jane; The Jimmy’s; Barstool Bob Blues Band; The Velveetatones, featuring Ken Saydak, Tony Menzer, Craig Panosh and “Lost Jim” Ohlshmidt; and W.C. Clark.
The Clock Tower Resort is at 7801 E. State St., Rockford.
From the June 30-July 6, 2010 issue