- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
- Tube Talk: A bite out of the competition
- Rockford Rocked: A chat with local musician Tony Walker
- Drafts & Fare: Women brewers find more recognition in market
Durand offers two days of Fourth of July events
From press release
DURAND, Ill.—You don’t have to go far, and you don’t have to spend much to enjoy yourself during this year’s Fourth of July weekend.
Durand’s two-day festival is Saturday and Sunday, July 3-4. It includes professional and amateur go-kart racing, a street dance, outhouse races, a parade, the second-best fireworks display in the Rockford area, food, beverages and more. The festival is sponsored by DARTS, the Durand Area Retailers, Trades and Services. Most activities are free.
Scheduled events include the following:
Saturday, July 3
10 a.m.—Professional Kart Racing
11 a.m.—Children’s Fun Fair
8 p.m.—Street Dance
Sunday, July 4
9 a.m.—Bulldog Challenge Amateur Go-Kart Racing
11 a.m.—Tractor Pulls
11 a.m.—American Legion Chicken BBQ
Noon-4 p.m.—Ice Cream Social, Durand United Methodist Church
1:30 p.m.—Children’s Parade & Regular Parade
2:30 p.m.—Bulldog Challenge Finals
4 p.m.—Outhouse Race
9:30 p.m.—Fireworks Display
Anyone wishing to participate in the Bulldog Challenge amateur go-kart races, outhouse races, parade, or as a vendor can find sign-up information on the event Web site, www.durandevents.com.
From the June 30-July 6, 2010 issue