- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
Durand offers two days of Fourth of July events
From press release
DURAND, Ill.—You don’t have to go far, and you don’t have to spend much to enjoy yourself during this year’s Fourth of July weekend.
Durand’s two-day festival is Saturday and Sunday, July 3-4. It includes professional and amateur go-kart racing, a street dance, outhouse races, a parade, the second-best fireworks display in the Rockford area, food, beverages and more. The festival is sponsored by DARTS, the Durand Area Retailers, Trades and Services. Most activities are free.
Scheduled events include the following:
Saturday, July 3
10 a.m.—Professional Kart Racing
11 a.m.—Children’s Fun Fair
8 p.m.—Street Dance
Sunday, July 4
9 a.m.—Bulldog Challenge Amateur Go-Kart Racing
11 a.m.—Tractor Pulls
11 a.m.—American Legion Chicken BBQ
Noon-4 p.m.—Ice Cream Social, Durand United Methodist Church
1:30 p.m.—Children’s Parade & Regular Parade
2:30 p.m.—Bulldog Challenge Finals
4 p.m.—Outhouse Race
9:30 p.m.—Fireworks Display
Anyone wishing to participate in the Bulldog Challenge amateur go-kart races, outhouse races, parade, or as a vendor can find sign-up information on the event Web site, www.durandevents.com.
From the June 30-July 6, 2010 issue