- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
Local youth win national tumbling titles
By Doug Halberstadt
I really enjoy sharing stories about local athletes who do well. Here is a perfect example. This showed up in my e-mail this week, and I’m happy to pass it along!
Local youth from the stateline area competed June 14 through June 19 at the USTA Nationals in Springfield, Ill. Two local residents won national titles in the ever-growing sport of power tumbling and trampoline while more than 15 athletes placed in the top 10. Kids Spot national champions in tumbling, trampoline and double mini are Alec Steinhagen of Rockton, Ill., and Payton Staman of Roscoe, Ill.
Kids Spot tumbling coaches Whitney Johnson and Megan Mowell said: “We love the sport and have the pleasure of sharing our passion with upcoming athletes. It came as no surprise to have the athletes place mainly in the top 10, due to the year-round commitment that the athletes and families make to the sport. We are glad that after a few years of building the program that everyone’s hard work is being recognized and rewarded; we are extremely proud of the kids.”
On behalf of everyone at The Rock River Times, we’d like to extend our congratulations to the newly-crowned national champions.
I am always in search of stories with ties to local athletes. If you or someone you know has achieved success in their sport, please feel free to share that information with me via my e-mail address, email@example.com.
From the June 30-July 6, 2010 issue