- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Local youth win national tumbling titles
By Doug Halberstadt
I really enjoy sharing stories about local athletes who do well. Here is a perfect example. This showed up in my e-mail this week, and I’m happy to pass it along!
Local youth from the stateline area competed June 14 through June 19 at the USTA Nationals in Springfield, Ill. Two local residents won national titles in the ever-growing sport of power tumbling and trampoline while more than 15 athletes placed in the top 10. Kids Spot national champions in tumbling, trampoline and double mini are Alec Steinhagen of Rockton, Ill., and Payton Staman of Roscoe, Ill.
Kids Spot tumbling coaches Whitney Johnson and Megan Mowell said: “We love the sport and have the pleasure of sharing our passion with upcoming athletes. It came as no surprise to have the athletes place mainly in the top 10, due to the year-round commitment that the athletes and families make to the sport. We are glad that after a few years of building the program that everyone’s hard work is being recognized and rewarded; we are extremely proud of the kids.”
On behalf of everyone at The Rock River Times, we’d like to extend our congratulations to the newly-crowned national champions.
I am always in search of stories with ties to local athletes. If you or someone you know has achieved success in their sport, please feel free to share that information with me via my e-mail address, firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the June 30-July 6, 2010 issue