- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
- Parks and recreation vital to a stronger Illinois, report shows
- Illinois home sales see slight gain in October
- Rockford Rescue Mission on the front lines of battling war on homelessness
- Rockford Area Economic Development Council’s annual meeting highlights tech revolution
- NIU’s Dan Gebo named ‘Illinois Professor of the Year’
- ‘Botanicas de la Villita’ filmmakers featured in free lecture at Rockford Art Museum tonight
Rockford celebrates Independence Day
From staff reports
Rockford’s annual Fourth of July celebration, which began Tuesday, June 29, with the Rockford Concert Band at the Sinnissippi Park Music Shell, will feature racing at Rockford Speedway, more music at the Sinnissippi Park Music Shell, a flag retirement ceremony, a motorcycle parade, the Fourth of July Parade, and, of course, one of the largest fireworks displays in Illinois.
Following is the full schedule of events for Rockford’s Fourth of July celebration:
Wednesday, June 30
1:30 p.m.—Rockford Park District Kidbucks Game Show, Imagination Station inside Sinnissippi Park.
7:07 p.m.—Faster Pastor Races at the Rockford Speedway plus Roadrunner Super Summer Series, Hornets, Winged Women on Wheels, Figure 8 race, Spectator Drags, Legend Cars, Bandoleros, Allison Legacy Cars, Hare ’n’ Hound.
Thursday, July 1
7:30 p.m.—Rockford Park District free concert at Sinnissippi Park Music Shell, featuring the Moonlight Jazz Orchestra.
Saturday, July 3
5 p.m.—Flag retirement ceremony, sponsored by Wanchanagi District Boy Scouts of America. Next to Symbol in Sinnissippi Gardens.
7:07 p.m.—Instant Jungle Independence Eve Party at the Rockford Speedway. NASCAR Late Models Star Spangled 76, Sportsman series, Hornets plus flagpole race and Illini Midgets.
Sunday, July 4
7 a.m.—MELD Classic 8k Run (7 a.m.), 2-Mile Run (7:05 a.m.), 1-Mile Fun Walk (8:30 a.m.). Begins on Madison Street under Jefferson Street bridge near the Trolley Station.
8:30 a.m.—Patriotic Breakfast sponsored by the Rockford Fourth of July Committee and Stone Eagle Tavern. A salute to area veterans and their families. Free continental breakfast to the first 1,000 people. Keynote speaker Dr. Michael Marino. Music Shell in Sinnissippi Park.
Noon—Declarations to end violence and prejudice. State and Main, Rockford.
5 p.m.—SkyConcert gates open inside Davis Park, downtown Rockford. The Indepedence Day Bash will headline the Moonlight Jazz Orchestra, along with Jodi Beach singing the National Anthem. Join the fun with entertainment and the best view to see the incredible fireworks show. Food and beverage will be available.
6:50 p.m.—Motorcycle parade.
7 p.m.—Rockford Fourth of July Parade. Begins at Seventh Street and Sixth Avenue in downtown Rockford. Ends near Davis Park.
9:30 p.m.—Fireworks show begins. One of the largest fireworks shows in the state of Illinois synchronized to music over Davis Park in downtown Rockford.
For more about Rockford’s Fourth of July celebration, visit www.rockfordfireandice.com.
From the June 30-July 6, 2010 issue