- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Sheet Music Festival July 10 at JustGoods
From press release
The Third Annual Sheet Music Festival will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, July 10, at JustGoods Listening Room, 201 Seventh St., Rockford.
Richard Zimmerman will do a program on ragtime music. He has been largely responsible for the worldwide revival of ragtime, and is one of its key figures as both a performer and a historian.
Zimmerman has a broad repertoire of several hundred rags, which he has performed around the world on stage, radio and television.
Tracy Doyle, the leading authority on the area’s most important Tin Pan Alley composer Egbert Van Alstyne, will discuss his music. Van Alstyne was born in Marengo, Ill. He composed many great hits at the turn of the last century, such as “In the Shade Of The Old Apple Tree.”
Local collector Lee Schreiner will discuss music written and/or published in Rockford since its early days.
Admission is free. Sheet music will be bought, sold and appraised. Bring in your old music and have it played for you.
Call Lee Schreiner at (815) 961-8664 or e-mail him at Lee1809@yahoo.com for more information.
From the June 30-July 6, 2010 issue