- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Sheet Music Festival July 10 at JustGoods
From press release
The Third Annual Sheet Music Festival will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday, July 10, at JustGoods Listening Room, 201 Seventh St., Rockford.
Richard Zimmerman will do a program on ragtime music. He has been largely responsible for the worldwide revival of ragtime, and is one of its key figures as both a performer and a historian.
Zimmerman has a broad repertoire of several hundred rags, which he has performed around the world on stage, radio and television.
Tracy Doyle, the leading authority on the area’s most important Tin Pan Alley composer Egbert Van Alstyne, will discuss his music. Van Alstyne was born in Marengo, Ill. He composed many great hits at the turn of the last century, such as “In the Shade Of The Old Apple Tree.”
Local collector Lee Schreiner will discuss music written and/or published in Rockford since its early days.
Admission is free. Sheet music will be bought, sold and appraised. Bring in your old music and have it played for you.
Call Lee Schreiner at (815) 961-8664 or e-mail him at Lee1809@yahoo.com for more information.
From the June 30-July 6, 2010 issue