Fourth of July weekend events, street closures and parking information
From press releases
Multiple street closures will be in place over the Fourth of July weekend to accommodate various Fourth of July weekend events. For a list of more Fourth of July events in Rockford, click here.
Green Lights Night, July 3
Saturday, July 3, Kryptonite and The Element will host their second Green Lights Night beginning at 6 p.m. in the downtown streetscape area of Main Street (former pedestrian mall area). The following roads will be impacted:
• The closure of Main Street from West State south to Chesnut Street, as well as Elm Street from Church Street to Wyman Street will be set by noon, Saturday, July 3. Access to the parking deck at Wyman and Elm streets as well as the municipal lot adjacent to AMCORE Bank will still be permitted for those attending the event or visiting the local businesses.
Motorists are urged to use caution while driving in the area because of the increase in pedestrian traffic.
If you have any questions, contact event organizer and Kryptonite owner Chris Wachowiak at (815) 505-3381 or Kelly Nokes, City of Rockford Public Works Department engineering technician, at (815) 967-6915.
MELD Classic 8K/2-Mile Run, July 4
Sunday, July 4, the annual MELD Classic 8K/2-Mile Run will be held at 7 a.m. beginning on Madison under the Jefferson Street bridge near the Trolley Station. Traffic will be impacted as follows:
• Madison Street from East State north to Y Boulevard will be closed during the event.
Fourth of July Parade, July 4
The annual Fourth of July Parade will kick off at 7 p.m., Sunday, July 4. Traffic will be impacted as follows:
• The parade will form at Seventh Street and Sixth Avenue, proceed north on Seventh Street to East State Street, west to Wyman Street, turn south on Wyman Street, and continue to just south of Cedar Street, where the parade will disband. Street closures will begin one hour before the parade, and smaller streets that intersect the route will also be closed during that time.
• Police traffic control on arterials, such as Second, Third, Sixth and Seventh streets, will allow traffic to cross periodically, but traffic is urged to find alternate routes.
Dedication ceremony, July 4
• East State Street will be closed from Madison Street, west to Wyman Street, beginning at 2 p.m. for a dedication ceremony at East State and Water streets.
• Water Street will be closed from East State to Market Street at 2 p.m.
• Traffic Control will remain in effect at several of these locations until after the annual fireworks display is complete.
Fourth of July Fireworks display, July 4
• Viewing of the fireworks will be permitted on the two northern lanes of the Chesnut Street bridge. Many excellent sites are available throughout the city, including local parks.
Parking downtown, July 4
• People are urged to carpool if they plan on going downtown, and to leave plenty of time to park and find a place to watch the parade and fireworks, as spaces fill up early. Parking is available in the parking deck west of the MetroCentre on South Church Street, in the parking deck east of the Coronado Theatre on North Main Street, just north of Jefferson Street, and in various municipal surface parking lots. Watch for signs at private lots and do not park in any lot or space where signs are posted warning that cars will be towed, as well as any city streets posted “No Parking.”
More about events, street closures and parking
For detailed information about the parade or fireworks display, contact Joe Marino, Rockford Fourth of July committee member, at (815) 965-0768, or visit www.rockfordfireandice.com.
For specific street closure information, contact Kelly Nokes, City of Rockford Public Works Department engineering technician, at (815) 967-6915.
Print This Article