- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
- Halberstadt: Pet peeve: NFL should take action on long hair
- Meet John Doe: Illinois’ minimum wage ballot question will bring voters to the polls
- First case of Ebola confirmed in the United States
- Tech-Friendly: Bending iPhones and iOS 8.0.2 update
- 20-year sentence in 2013 homicide
- Parolee arrested after search warrant at RHA property
- Olympic star Michael Phelps arrested on second DUI charge
- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
Summer cooling program utility assistance
From press release
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), administered by the City of Rockford Human Services Department, will again be offering a summer cooling program to assist qualified Winnebago and Boone County households with their electric bill.
The program will target at-risk households, defined as seniors age 60 or older, or people with disabilities (SSI or pending case with the Social Security Administration), or households that contain children less than 36 months of age, or those with medical conditions that would be aggravated by extreme heat. To qualify, those at-risk households must have incomes equal to or less than 150 percent of the poverty level as defined in the 2005 HHS Poverty Guidelines.
The Summer Energy Assistance payments will be $150 paid directly to the resident’s electric provider.
The program will begin July 19 and will end July 30 or earlier if funds are exhausted.
Following is a list of sites where the program will be offered. Call the sites for appointment information. For general questions regarding the program, call (815) 987-5711.
2010 Intake Sites for Summer Cooling
For seniors living in Winnebago County:
Lifescape Community Services
705 Kilburn Ave., Rockford
Northwestern Illinois Area Agency on Aging (NIAAA)
2576 Charles St., Rockford
Rep. Chuck Jefferson’s Office
State of Illinois Building
200 S. Wyman St., Rockford
For seniors living in Boone County:
Keen Age Center
2141 Henry Luckow Lane, Belvidere.
For residents of Rockton, Roscoe and South Beloit:
1315 N. Blackhawk Blvd., Rockton
For residents of Boone and Winnebago County with disabled households, those with children under 36 months, and those with qualifying medical need:
City of Rockford Human Services Dept.
Community Services Division
555 N. Court St., Rockford
From the July 7-13, 2010 issue