- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Local band finalist in national talent search
By Jim Hagerty
Since May, Rockford-based band The Poets Dance has been turning heads of national talent scouts, playing their way to Chicago’s House of Blues and a Hollywood TV commercial shoot. The band, composed of Rockford-area natives Luke Larson, Ryan Jensen, Sean Gomez, Jarrett Kimberly and Andrew “Dobber” Dobson, has been competing in freecreditscore.com’s national ad campaign, the Free Credit Score Band Sweepstakes.
Thirty bands were called to audition in Chicago two months ago. After a series of call-backs, The Poets Dance was named a finalist along with acts from Los Angeles and New York.
Branded a progressive electro pop act by Experian, which, along with MTV and Gibson Guitars, launched the talent search, The Poets Dance will compete in a final round of voting that wraps Aug. 9.
“We are one step closer to choosing the band that will become one of the most-watched bands on television,” said Chris X. Moloney, senior vice president and chief marketing officer for the U.S. Consumer Direct business unit of Experian. “It’s truly exciting to have witnessed these bands go through the different phases of the search with such enthusiasm. Many of them are self-promoting through a variety of social media channels, and it’s incredible to see the positive nationwide response to the campaign.”
If The Poets Dance wins, the band will receive a $10,000 check, prizes from Gibson, a Pearl drum kit valued at $12,000, studio time and will walk the red carpet at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards. The band will also have an opportunity to perform on the 2010 VMA Tour.
Supporters can cast their votes for The Poets Dance (beginning July 13) at freecreditscoreband.com. The band’s TV commercial also aired July 13 during the FOX broadcast of the Major League Baseball All-Star Game.
The Free Credit Report Band Sweepstakes is a campaign to communicate the importance of maintaining good credit and sound personal financial management.
More information about The Poets Dance, including a show schedule and music samples, can be found at myspace.com/thepoetsdance. Fans can also follow the group on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/the-poets-dance/171530511742?ref=ts&v=app_2344061033#!/pages/the-poets-dance/171530511742?v=wall&ref=ts).
From the July 14-20, 2010 issue