- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Local band finalist in national talent search
By Jim Hagerty
Since May, Rockford-based band The Poets Dance has been turning heads of national talent scouts, playing their way to Chicago’s House of Blues and a Hollywood TV commercial shoot. The band, composed of Rockford-area natives Luke Larson, Ryan Jensen, Sean Gomez, Jarrett Kimberly and Andrew “Dobber” Dobson, has been competing in freecreditscore.com’s national ad campaign, the Free Credit Score Band Sweepstakes.
Thirty bands were called to audition in Chicago two months ago. After a series of call-backs, The Poets Dance was named a finalist along with acts from Los Angeles and New York.
Branded a progressive electro pop act by Experian, which, along with MTV and Gibson Guitars, launched the talent search, The Poets Dance will compete in a final round of voting that wraps Aug. 9.
“We are one step closer to choosing the band that will become one of the most-watched bands on television,” said Chris X. Moloney, senior vice president and chief marketing officer for the U.S. Consumer Direct business unit of Experian. “It’s truly exciting to have witnessed these bands go through the different phases of the search with such enthusiasm. Many of them are self-promoting through a variety of social media channels, and it’s incredible to see the positive nationwide response to the campaign.”
If The Poets Dance wins, the band will receive a $10,000 check, prizes from Gibson, a Pearl drum kit valued at $12,000, studio time and will walk the red carpet at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards. The band will also have an opportunity to perform on the 2010 VMA Tour.
Supporters can cast their votes for The Poets Dance (beginning July 13) at freecreditscoreband.com. The band’s TV commercial also aired July 13 during the FOX broadcast of the Major League Baseball All-Star Game.
The Free Credit Report Band Sweepstakes is a campaign to communicate the importance of maintaining good credit and sound personal financial management.
More information about The Poets Dance, including a show schedule and music samples, can be found at myspace.com/thepoetsdance. Fans can also follow the group on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/the-poets-dance/171530511742?ref=ts&v=app_2344061033#!/pages/the-poets-dance/171530511742?v=wall&ref=ts).
From the July 14-20, 2010 issue