- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
Pecatonica River Cleanup July 25
The Seventh Annual Pecatonica River Cleanup will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday, July 25. Meet at Rock Hollow Conservation Club, 1931 Route 75 E., Freeport, Ill.
This is your chance to help develop stewardship for the Pecatonica River. Help keep the river free of the trash that river users keep finding in the river—tires, appliances, furniture and plastic debris among them. The Friends of the Pecatonica River Foundation will be scheduling many activities. Needs include: volunteers, excavating equipment, dumpsters, dump trucks, and financial support.
Service clubs and individuals are encouraged to help! A cookout, free T-shirt, and free lunch will be provided for volunteers. This event is sponsored by: United Sportsmen’s Youth Foundation, SCALE Streambank Cleanup & Lakeshore Enhancement, Exelon Nuclear Byron Generating Station, The Freeport Journal Standard, Illinois Conservation Foundation donors, McNess, Steelworkers 745, www.USYF.com.
Contributions and interest may be sent to: Mr. Lee Butler, FPRF Treasurer, 1550 Woodside Drive, Freeport, IL 61032. FPRF is a 501(c)(3) organization, and all donations are tax deductible. Make checks payable to: Community Foundation of Northern Illinois. Membership and support packages can be viewed at: www.pecriver.webs.com.
From the July 14-20, 2010 issue