- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
Severson Dells Notes: Severson Dells Scamper set for July 24
From Severson Dells Nature Center
The Severson Dells Nature Center offers runners and nature lovers a morning of fun, fitness and education in nature July 24 when it holds the fourth Severson Dells Scamper. The event is a 5K open adult/youth race.
The Severson Dells Scamper is being run as an environmentally-friendly event, in keeping with the Severson Dells Nature Center’s mission. It also showcases the scenic Severson Dells Forest Preserve and promotes fitness in the great outdoors.
The event will be along the trails and roads of Severson Dells Forest Preserve, 4 miles southwest of Rockford at 8786 Montague Road. Participants will traverse through woods and meadows. The open/youth race will include a cross country-style team competition. “Snakes Alive” presenter, Tom Kessenich, herpetologist from Madison, Wis., will be there at the race with his snakes as well as presenting a program for the public at 1 p.m. Winning teams have an option of their photo being taken with a 6-foot python!
The event’s waste and its demand for energy will be minimized through low-impact course markings and other means. Organic cotton T-shirts are guaranteed to the first 150 registered participants. Prizes will also be environmentally themed.
The 5K Severson Dells Scamper event begins at 8 a.m. Participants may pick up packets between 6:45 and 7:50 a.m. on the day of the race at the Nature Center. Participation costs $25.
Printable race forms, online registration and more information are all available at http://seversondells.org, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proceeds from the run will benefit education programs at the Severson Dells Nature Center, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. The center’s mission is to link people to nature through education and research in the Rockford area.
From the July 14-20, 2010 issue