- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Little Cubs Field prepares for home run bonanza
By Matt Nestor
Aug. 1, Little Cubs Field in Freeport, Ill., will host a charity home run derby.
Ten charities will compete and take pledges for each home run they can hit in an hour. Pitches will be coming every 4 to 5 seconds, so the home runs will be fast and furious.
According to the Guinness Book of Records, nothing like this has ever been attempted before. So, the charities will also be helping set a world record for most home runs hit on a baseball field in one day.
The event starts at 8 a.m. and is planned to go until 7 p.m. The field is at 1160 W. Empire, Freeport, Ill.
Little Cubs Field has been a great tourist attraction as a miniature replica of Wrigley Field. They also hold little league games and other events at the field every year.
Food and games will be available. In addition, there will be a contest to guess how many home runs will be hit during the contest.
Guesses are being taken now at the gift shop and will be taken up to the start of the event. The person who guesses correctly will get a free rental of the field for them and a group.
The event is open to the public, and donations will be accepted at the event. For more information, visit www.littlecubsfield.com.
Share your thoughts with Matt Nestor via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
From the July 21-27, 2010 issue