- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
Other news and notes from the July 19 Rockford City Council meeting
By Stuart R. Wahlin
→ Appointing Kim Ryan as the city’s authorized Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund agent.
→ Amending the city’s personnel policy to include information regarding military leaves of absence.
→ Approving a $40,000 task order for Strand Associates, Inc., to perform filter-breakthrough testing as part of ongoing water system upgrades.
Prophet Yusef applauded the leadership of the Rockford Mass Transit District in promoting public transportation. Yusef suggested expanding to 24-hour service.
Bruce Roberts asked aldermen to inform the public regarding possible service cutbacks that would result from reductions to the city’s public safety workforce.
Jackie Pryor explained the difficulties she and her children face after she was seriously injured in a car accident, resulting in medical bills of more than $100,000 that caused her to lose her home. She was asked to speak with the Human Services Department.
In anticipation of a vote expected that night whether to grant a $75,000 funding request to the organization, Ron Clewer argued the value of The Element, which aims to turn downtown into a cultural district. After a motion by Ald. Karen Elyea (D-11), the matter was referred back to committee for further review. Although she said she supports the measure, the $75,000 for the downtown-based group would come from the Seventh Street Tax Increment Financing District in her ward.
Ald. Lenny Jacobson (D-6) was absent.
From the July 21-27, 2010 issue