- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
Rockford Rage pull out last-minute victory
By Todd Reicher
The Rockford Rage defeated the Naptown Third Alarm 122-117 in a thrilling last-minute victory Saturday, July 17.
At their last home bout in May, the Rockford Rage were defeated by the Lunachix by a measly 1 point as time expired. This time, the Rage turned the tables and pulled out a last-second win.
The entire bout was back-and-forth scoring, with no team taking a large lead. In fact, no team led by more than 8 points throughout the entire bout.
After a fast-paced first half, the Rage headed into the locker room up by 6.
As time wound down, both teams fought hard to stretch out to a large lead. The Third Alarm took a 5-point lead with just more than 2 minutes left in the bout. The Rage grabbed the next jam and took 5 points to tie the score with just more than 30 seconds remaining.
The whistle blew starting the final jam. As fast as the whistle blew, Rage jammer Taryn Skulz shot out to the front of the pack, as the crowd roared with applause and cheers. Skulz held the lead jam position for the remainder of the jam and gained the Rage 5 points, and a much-deserved win, as time expired.
The Rage’s next bout will be Saturday, Aug. 21, as the Rage host the Screw City Smackdown Tournament at the Indoor Sports Center (ISC) on Riverside. To learn more about the Rockford Rage, visit their Web site at www.rockfordrage.com.
From the July 21-27, 2010 issue