- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
SwedishAmerican State Street Mile
From press release
Registration is now open for the 26th Annual SwedishAmerican State Street Mile, to be held Saturday, Aug. 14, in downtown Rockford.
The SwedishAmerican State Street Mile includes several popular races—Men’s and Women’s Open and Masters, a 1/4 mile Kids’ Fun Run, and Male and Female Ben Newson Jr. Heats for K through 12th-grade students.
The race begins directly in front of SwedishAmerican Hospital’s State Street entrance and has been called “The Fastest Mile in the Midwest.” It receives this designation because much of the race is downhill. Hundreds of runners are expected to participate, coming from many of the states surrounding Illinois. Runners have come from as far as New York to participate in the unique mile race.
The first heat in this year’s event will begin at 5 p.m. and will culminate with an awards ceremony at approximately 7 p.m. on the hospital grounds. A portion of this year’s race proceeds will be donated to the Rockford Wildcats, a youth cross country team designed to let kids have fun while learning about running.
To register for the SwedishAmerican State Street Mile, or for more information, visit www.swedishamerican.org or www.rockfordroadrunners.com. Further information may also be obtained by calling Runners’ Image at (815) 963-2171.
From the July 21-27, 2010 issue