- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
SwedishAmerican State Street Mile
From press release
Registration is now open for the 26th Annual SwedishAmerican State Street Mile, to be held Saturday, Aug. 14, in downtown Rockford.
The SwedishAmerican State Street Mile includes several popular races—Men’s and Women’s Open and Masters, a 1/4 mile Kids’ Fun Run, and Male and Female Ben Newson Jr. Heats for K through 12th-grade students.
The race begins directly in front of SwedishAmerican Hospital’s State Street entrance and has been called “The Fastest Mile in the Midwest.” It receives this designation because much of the race is downhill. Hundreds of runners are expected to participate, coming from many of the states surrounding Illinois. Runners have come from as far as New York to participate in the unique mile race.
The first heat in this year’s event will begin at 5 p.m. and will culminate with an awards ceremony at approximately 7 p.m. on the hospital grounds. A portion of this year’s race proceeds will be donated to the Rockford Wildcats, a youth cross country team designed to let kids have fun while learning about running.
To register for the SwedishAmerican State Street Mile, or for more information, visit www.swedishamerican.org or www.rockfordroadrunners.com. Further information may also be obtained by calling Runners’ Image at (815) 963-2171.
From the July 21-27, 2010 issue