- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
‘Danimal’ to participate in MELD’s Aug. 19 golf fund-raiser
By Doug Halberstadt
If someone were to compile a comprehensive list of all the charitable golf play days in our area from early April to the end of October, it would be a long list. There seems to be at least one a week, and often a golfer can play in more than one in any given week during June, July and August.
It’s now incumbent on these multiple charities to try to set their outing apart from every other one. All of them are competing for the same limited number of golfers who may be willing to spend $80 to $120 or more on a round of golf and dinner.
MELD has attempted to make their fourth annual outing a one-of-a-kind event. They are holding their outing Thursday, Aug. 19. This year’s event is being billed as “Green and Bear It.” NFL Hall of Famer and former Chicago Bears defensive tackle Dan “Danimal” Hampton has agreed to play in their play day.
MELD is auctioning off the three other spots in Hampton’s foursome to determine who gets to play 18 holes with the legendary member of the Bears’ 1985 Super Bowl team.
The 12:30 p.m. shotgun start will take place at Prairie View Golf Club in Byron, Ill. The day includes golf, 50/50 raffle, auction, course contest and door prizes, course refreshments and dinner immediately following golf.
The registration fee for a solo golfer is $85. Any twosome registering at the same time will pay $160. A foursome registering together will save $10 per golfer and pay the reduced fee of $300. After Aug. 10, there will be no twosome or foursome prices.
If you’d like to play with Hampton, you can place your bid by e-mail at email@example.com or by calling Karen Tilly at (815) 633-6353, ext. 11. To obtain more information or to register for “Green and Bear It,” call (815) 633 6353, ext. 10.
MELD provides programming for young moms and dads in the Rockford area.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the July 28-Aug 3, 2010 issue