- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
‘Danimal’ to participate in MELD’s Aug. 19 golf fund-raiser
By Doug Halberstadt
If someone were to compile a comprehensive list of all the charitable golf play days in our area from early April to the end of October, it would be a long list. There seems to be at least one a week, and often a golfer can play in more than one in any given week during June, July and August.
It’s now incumbent on these multiple charities to try to set their outing apart from every other one. All of them are competing for the same limited number of golfers who may be willing to spend $80 to $120 or more on a round of golf and dinner.
MELD has attempted to make their fourth annual outing a one-of-a-kind event. They are holding their outing Thursday, Aug. 19. This year’s event is being billed as “Green and Bear It.” NFL Hall of Famer and former Chicago Bears defensive tackle Dan “Danimal” Hampton has agreed to play in their play day.
MELD is auctioning off the three other spots in Hampton’s foursome to determine who gets to play 18 holes with the legendary member of the Bears’ 1985 Super Bowl team.
The 12:30 p.m. shotgun start will take place at Prairie View Golf Club in Byron, Ill. The day includes golf, 50/50 raffle, auction, course contest and door prizes, course refreshments and dinner immediately following golf.
The registration fee for a solo golfer is $85. Any twosome registering at the same time will pay $160. A foursome registering together will save $10 per golfer and pay the reduced fee of $300. After Aug. 10, there will be no twosome or foursome prices.
If you’d like to play with Hampton, you can place your bid by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling Karen Tilly at (815) 633-6353, ext. 11. To obtain more information or to register for “Green and Bear It,” call (815) 633 6353, ext. 10.
MELD provides programming for young moms and dads in the Rockford area.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the July 28-Aug 3, 2010 issue