- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
Rockford native, Grammy winner Kurt Elling at Coronado Aug. 6
From press release
Rockford native Kurt Elling will be in concert at 7:30 p.m., Friday, Aug. 6, at the Coronado Performing Arts Center. This benefit concert is presented by the Urban Christian Education Fund (UCEF), which provides tuition assistance to students attending St. Paul Lutheran School in Rockford. Proceeds of the concert will go directly to UCEF. Tickets are available through the Coronado Box Office at www.coronadopac.com.
Elling won the 2010 Grammy for Best Jazz Vocal Album. This recording, Dedicated to You: Kurt Elling Sings the Music of Coltrane and Hartman, marks his ninth Grammy nomination. The New York Times calls Elling, “the standout male vocalist of our time.”
Elling was just named “Male Singer of the Year” for the sixth time by the Jazz Journalists Association. He tours worldwide, performing at the White House for a State Dinner in November 2009, and recently sang the national anthem and “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” at Wrigley Field for the Cubs/White Sox game June 11. More about Elling is available at kurtelling.com.
Kurt Elling is a 1981 graduate of St. Paul Lutheran School in Rockford. St. Paul has a rich history of music education and is proud to have this famous musician as an alumnus of their school.
The mission of UCEF is to give more kids learning that shapes character. They aim to do this by providing tuition assistance to families who desire to enroll their children at St. Paul Lutheran School. UCEF will provide nearly $4,000 in tuition aid in just their second year of existence. More information is available at www.helpucef.org.
From the July 28-Aug 3, 2010 issue