- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Shaun White to compete in Summer X Games July 29-Aug. 1
By Doug Halberstadt
The 16th annual X Games begin tomorrow (Thursday, July 29) in Los Angeles. The high-flying spills, chills and daredevil maneuvers will continue through Aug. 1.
These talented and fearless athletes from all around the world will show off their latest moves and tricks as they compete for medals and prize money in such sports as skateboarding, rally car racing, motocross and BMX.
One of the featured athletes at this year’s X Games is Olympic gold medalist Shaun White. White will abandon his snowboard and trade it in for a set of wheels. He is scheduled to compete in the men’s vertical event in skateboarding. White is looking forward to his new event. “I’m pumped,” he said. “Nothing like a new challenge to fire you up.”
White recently was honored at the sporting world’s equivalent of the Oscars. At this year’s ESPY Awards show, he walked away with two awards: one for Best Male Action Sports Athlete and another for Best Male Olympic Athlete.
X Game fans can catch more than 31 hours of live HD programming on ESPN and ESPN2.
Thursday, July 29
2-5 p.m., ESPN—BMX Park Elimination, Skateboard Street Elimination
8-11 p.m., ESPN, ESPN 3D—Moto X Freestyle Round 1, Women’s Super X Final, Men’s Super X Final, Moto X Freestyle Final, Skateboard Big Air Final
Midnight-1 a.m. (Friday), ESPN2—X Center
Friday, July 30
2-5 p.m., ESPN—Skateboard Park Elimination, Adaptive Super X Final, BMX Street Elimination
7-11:30 p.m., ESPN—BMX Vert Final, Moto X Step Up Final, Skate Vert Final, Moto X Best Whip, Moto X Best Trick Final, Skateboard Vert Best Trick
2-3 a.m. (Saturday), ESPN2—X Center
Saturday, July 31
2-6 p.m., ESPN—BMX Park Final, Rally Car Racing Seeding, Skateboard Street Final
7-11 p.m., ESPN, ESPN 3D—Rally Car Racing Elims, Quarters, Semis and Final, BMX Big Air Final, SuperRally Final
11 p.m.-midnight, ESPN 3D—Skateboard Big Air Rail Jam
2:30-3:30 a.m. (Sunday), ESPN2—X Center
Sunday, Aug. 1
1-3 p.m., ESPN2—Skateboard Real Street, BMX Street Final
7-11 p.m., ESPN2—Game of SKATE, Skateboard Big Air Rail Jam, Skateboard Park Final, Women’s Skate Street Final, Moto X Speed & Style Final
11 p.m.-midnight (Monday), ESPN2—X Center
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the July 28-Aug 3, 2010 issue